Qbuzz Qbuzz is the NS-owned, but stand-alone, regional public transport bus and tram operator in the Netherlands. In 2016, Qbuzz operated bus services in the provinces of Utrecht (also tram services), Groningen, Drenthe and Friesland. Qbuzz had a total average of 1,846 FTEs over 2016. Its sickness absence figure for 2016 was 8.2% (7.4% in 2015).With a turnover of €213 million in 2016, Qbuzz is one of the largest regional public transport companies in the Netherlands. On average, Qbuzz transports approximately 247,000 customers per working day, with 681 buses and 27 trams.Divestment of QbuzzQbuzz has been part of the NS organisation in the Netherlands ever since it was founded in 2008. NS owned 49% of the shares until 2013, at which point the remaining shares (51%) were taken over. Following the outcome of its strategic review, NS announced the intended sale of Qbuzz in a press release on 11 July and via notification in the Staatscourant (Government Gazette). From that date onwards Qbuzz has been classified as ‘held for sale’.By divesting Qbuzz and discontinuing bids on regional rail franchises in the Netherlands, NS can focus explicitly on its core business in the Netherlands: offering better train services on the core rail network including the HSL, looking after train stations and contributing to a better door-to-door travel experience, in cooperation with all regional public transport operators. This enhanced cooperation is needed to provide a better door-to-door travel experience to all of NS’s passengers. NS organises a thorough and transparent sales process in the interests of all concerned, and the transfer of Qbuzz to its new owner is expected to take place in 2017. Until this process is duly finalised, Qbuzz – with consent from NS – will continue its bidding activities to realise further company growth. Qbuzz therefore prepared a bid on the Amstelland-Meerlanden bus franchise and submitted this in November. Connexxion later won the bus franchise. Qbuzz is a profitable venture (the EBIT for 2016 was €9.2 million).UtrechtKey figures 2016955 employees (FTE), 311 buses, 26 trams, 180,000 passengers per working day. Qbuzz passengers rate the service as 7.5 out of 10 (source: OV-klantenbarometer 2015, March 2016), which is the same rating as the year before. The franchise covers both bus and tram services, and was awarded to Qbuzz by the Province of Utrecht until 2023.Groningen-DrentheKey figures 2016692 employees (FTE), 303 buses, 67,000 passengers per working day. Qbuzz passengers rate the service as 7.6 out of 10 (source: OV-klantenbarometer 2015, March 2016), which is the same rating as the year before. This bus franchise started in December 2009 and will run until December 2019.FrieslandKey figures 2016166 employees, 67 buses, 10,000 passengers per working day. Qbuzz passengers rate the service as 7.6 out of 10 (source: OV-klantenbarometer 2015, March 2016), which is the same rating as the year before. This bus franchise started in December 2008 and moved to Arriva in December 2016.